Statement of Intent
South Shields Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare, both physical and emotional, of every pupil, inside and outside the school premises.
This Policy (See Child Protection and Safeguarding) sets out a clear and consistent framework for delivering this promise, in line with safeguarding legislation and statutory guidance.
It will be achieved by:
· Creating a culture of safe recruitment by adopting procedures that help deter, reject or identify people who might pose a risk to children.
· Educating pupils on how to keep safe and to recognise behaviour that is unacceptable.
· Identifying and making provision for any child that has been subject to abuse.
· Ensuring that members of the governing body, the headteacher and staff members understand their responsibilities, under safeguarding legislation and statutory guidance, to be alert to the signs of child abuse and to refer concerns to the designated safeguarding lead.
· Ensuring that the headteacher and any new staff members and volunteers are only appointed when all the appropriate checks have been satisfactorily completed.
The schools designated safeguarding lead is: M Midgley
In the absence of the designated safeguarding lead, child protection matters will be dealt with by: N Fada